At Arundel Church of England Primary School we aim for the children to develop an enthusiasm for and enjoyment of Science. We strive to develop their knowledge and understanding of important scientific ideas, processes and skills and encourage them to relate these to their everyday experiences in the context of real-life and practical ‘hands-on’ activities.
We teach children the skills of scientific investigation so that they know how to find out things and how to communicate their ideas effectively.
We strive to make the children confident learners and aim to build Science capital for all. Our curriculum objectives follow ‘The 2014 National Curriculum’ and the EYFS Statutory Framework.
By Mrs H Meyer and Miss O Foot
- To develop pupils’ enjoyment and interest in science and an appreciation of its contribution to all aspects of everyday life.
- To build on pupils’ curiosity and sense of awe of the natural world.
- To use a planned range of investigations and practical activities to give pupils a greater understanding of the concepts and knowledge of Science.
- To introduce pupils to the language and vocabulary of Science.
- To develop pupils’ basic practical skills and their ability to make accurate and appropriate measurements.
- To develop pupils’ use of information and communication technology (ICT) in their science studies.
- To extend the learning environment for our pupils via our environmental areas and the locality.
- To promote a ‘healthy lifestyle’ in our pupils.
Implementation - how we teach it
At ACE, teachers create a positive attitude to science learning within their classrooms and reinforce an expectation that all children are capable of achieving high standards in Science regardless of gender, race or economic background. Our whole school approach to the teaching and learning of Science involves the following;
Science is taught discretely (except in EYFS where it is interwoven into ‘Understanding the World’). In this way, we can ensure that there is a clear progression of both knowledge and skills (our building blocks) from EYFS to Year 6.
- Through Science, our children think analytically, take responsibility and see beyond their own horizon.
- Through Science, our children know more, remember more and do more.
- Through Science, our children have the opportunity to grow spiritually, to be resilient and challenge themselves and each other in order to succeed together.
- Through Science, our children are encouraged to be courageous advocates who challenge inequalities in society and are able to articulate spiritual and ethical issues.